Friday, May 16, 2008

Reflection On Abuse

So I'm coming to the end of my research on abuse and I have learned so much about the topic. So while researching I found the answer to my essential question why don't women who are being abused just leave? I had found out as I stated in an earlier post there are many reason why abused women wont leave the relationship. The person maybe afraid to leave because the abuser may have threaten to harm them, there families and property. The major thing that I learned while researching abuse was that there is more then just one type of abuse. People can be abused in many different ways besides physical. This really surprised me that there are many different types of abuse like verbal, emotional,physical or sexual abuse, financial, elderly child , substance, and Internet abuse. During my research I found that abuse also has many different definitions. Abuse can be defined as improper or excessive use of treatment, physical maltreatment.(Types Of Abuse Hidden Hurts). I am not surprised that a person who is being abused may take a bad path in life like taking drugs, drinking alcohol, also it can cause mental health, depression, and anxiety. They do these things to help them escape from the pain at times not realizing that this is not helping there problems and that it may make things worse. I also found that there are many places willing to help a person who is being abused the person just has to be willing to take the help. I have came to the conclusion that a person being abused also wont leave because once the abuser has gone in there calm phase they feel sorry for what they have done and buy gifts or do something special to try and make for what they have done. There is a cycle in an abuse relationship tension building, explosion phase, then the calm stage.(Eilliot.P)

No one deserves to be abused. I learned that sometimes men abuse women due to simple matters like dinner wasn't ready(Witter, Jim). This is no reason for a person to strike another person.Elliot, P. (1996). Shattering Illusions: Same Sex Domestic Violence in Rezette and Miley (eds.). Violence in Gay and Lesbian Domestic Partnerships. New York: Haworth Press.

1 comment:

Elyse2008 said...

I actually forgot all about my essential question. So, I like how you repeat your question and explain it.